Our History – Over 100 Years of Serving Devon

CJ Steer & Son Ltd are a family run company, who have been trading under various titles since the late 19th century. The company was founded in approximately 1890 by a Mr Thomas Rice, who was a Carpenter, Wheelwright and Undertaker. He was later joined by his two sons Francis (Frank) and Charles (Charlie), who took over the business upon Mr Rice Senior’s retirement. The two brothers expanded the business and became General Builders and Undertakers.

In 1946 Mr Charles Steer (Charlie) joined the business, as an apprentice. He continued to work for the brothers until Mr Francis Rice retired in 1969. Mr Charles Steer then acquired the business and changed the trading name to CJ Steer Builders and Undertakers. James Steer joined the business in 1977 and became a partner in 1982, thus renaming the business as CJ Steer & Son.

As times have changed the business has changed with it, expanding into new builds and developments, whilst still keeping its core activities of maintenance, repairs and of course funerals.

CJ Steer Logo on Van

The family element has continued with James’ two sons joining the business, Peter in 2008 as an apprentice carpenter, and Andrew in 2015 after completing his apprenticeship with a local plumbing and heating engineer. The business became an incorporated company in 2003, trading as CJ Steer & Son Ltd and still serves Bow and the surrounding area, as it has done so for over 100 years.